Juicy chicken, sweet corn, tangy broth, with crisp bell peppers, onions, and celery make a quick and easy chicken tortilla soup. It’s pretty perfect on it’s own, but adding an avocado and crunchy tortilla chips on top just overdoes it! This classic recipe and it’s complimenting flavors and textures never gets old.
I really am infatuated the unique flavor of cumin and chili powder… especially when they’re united in recipes like this one and my Chicken Fiesta Soup. I purchase a large container of McCormick’s Cumin and Chili Powder so I will always have some on hand for scrumptious dinners like these. They’re two spices my kitchen does not go without.
Are you tired of me emphasizing the importance of reading ingredients? I truly apologize. I wish I could say this would be the last time. I just want you to put good things into that body of yours! I’ve read ingredients on lots of broths and keep coming back to the brand Pacific Natural. Rich flavor, organic, and free from those unnecessary additives.
Well, friends, enjoy your dinner! It’s a good one.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 Tbs coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 large green bell pepper chopped
- 2 medium ribs of celery chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 32 oz organic chicken broth/stock, low-sodium
- 2 cups water
- 2 large chicken breasts or 6 to 7 chicken tenders thawed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 jalapeno remove seeds and finely chopped (optional... keep seeds to make it spicy!)
- 4 Roma tomatoes diced keeping seeds and juices
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro snipped and finely chopped
- 2 Tbs fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 large avocado sliced
- Tortilla chips
In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil about 1 minute. Add bell pepper, celery, onion, and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes until vegetables are slightly tender.
Add chicken broth/stock and water. Bring to boil.
Add chicken, jalapeno, tomatoes, corn, cilantro, lime juice, chili powder, and cumin. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for additional 5 to 7 minutes or until chicken no longer pink.
Serve with diced avocado and tortilla chips on top.
~ Recipe idea inspired from AHA Healthy Family Meals.