Don’t believe a grilled tuna cheese sandwich could be healthy? Well, prepare to deceive your taste buds with a little twist on the classic grilled cheese. I sneak in an avocado, Greek yogurt, and coconut oil and make this sandwich full of whole grains, Omega-3 fatty acids, calcium, and protein. This crunchy, cheesy sandwich will become one of your families favorite lunches.
There are a couple key tips in making these sandwiches finger-lickin’-perfect. When choosing canned tuna, purchase tuna packaged in olive oil like Genova Tonno Solid Light Tuna. Olive oil helps contain nutrients better than water and also adds more Omega-3s. Also, most pre-packaged pickles have yellow coloring added. Is that really necessary? Make sure to read the ingredients on the pickle relish.
Coconut oil is considered a ‘high heat’ oil meaning it cooks hotter at a lower temperature than other oils. Since you’ll be ‘frying’ this sandwich with coconut oil, start with a lower heat or you’ll burn your sandwich. Coconut oil has been proven to cause weight loss, improve metabolism, reduce cholesterol, and even improve memory. The rich aroma and sweet, light flavor is an added bonus too. I love Nutiva Coconut Oil.
Most store bought breads have tons of additives, chemicals, and preservatives. For best taste, quality, and nutrition, read the ingredients and purchase whole wheat bread with pure, simple ingredients. I purchase Aspen Mill’s at Costco. The ingredients are 100% stoneground whole wheat, water, honey, salt, and yeast. I love pre-packaged foods with ingredients like this!
Grilled Tuna Cheese Sandwich
- 1 large ripe avocado mashed
- 1/4 cup Greek plain yogurt
- 12 oz can of tuna drained
- 1/4 cup dill pickle relish
- 8 thin slices of Colby Jack cheese
- 8 slices of 100% stone-ground whole wheat bread
- 4 Tbs coconut oil
- Combine avocado, plain yogurt, tuna, and pickle relish together.
- Place about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of mixture on top of one slice of bread. Top with 2 thin slices of cheese and another piece of bread.
- Spread 1/2 Tbs of coconut oil on both sides of the sandwich.
- Preheat skillet or grill to low-medium heat. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes until sides are golden brown and cheese has melted.