Bacon, cheese and potatoes… do I need to say more? Well, this cheese potato casserole recipe is all that and more! It is the best combination of flavors and it has green onions which really take it to the next level. I mean green onions take almost anything to the next level, am I right?
I love potato casserole recipes. One of my favorite dishes is my sister-in-law’s cheesy potato recipe, it combines both sweet potato and white potatoes. She brings it every year to Thanksgiving and you better believe I load my plate up! I’ve also had a sweet potato casserole with kale, heavy cream and parmesan in it. Super good and also a personal favorite! My friend who makes it always makes amazing food so it’s no surprise I loved that casserole.
Anyways, enough about other potato casseroles let’s talk about this one. This cheesy potato casserole is super simple to make.
- Boil the potatoes and let cool. Once cooled, peel and cut the potatoes
- Mix together sour cream, soup, cheese, bacon and green onions
- Spread 1 cup of cheese mixture on the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish
- Add a layer of potatoes and then repeat with the cheese mixture, more potatoes and finish with the last of the cheese mixture
- Bake at 350F for 35-45 minutes and then enjoy!
Seriously, you will have a hard time not eating all of this, but save some for your family because they will love it too!
If you love this cheesy potato recipe give this loaded scallop potato recipe a try. Super delicious! Or if you want another casserole I highly recommend the turkey/chicken enchilada casserole. Can’t go wrong!
What do you love in your potato casseroles? Let me know in the comments below!
Easy Cheesy Potato Casserole Recipe
This creamy, cheesy, and savory Easy Cheesy Potato Casserole has quickly become a favorite for family gatherings AND it's super easy to assemble too.
- 6 large potatoes washed, boiled until soft, skin removed, and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 (32 ounces) sour cream or Greek plain yogurt
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can Cream of Chicken condensed soup
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or Colby Jack cheese
- 10 strips bacon or turkey bacon baked until crispy and chopped into small pieces
- 3 stalks green onion washed, ends removed, and thinly sliced.
Thoroughly wash and scrub potatoes. Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat and allow potatoes to simmer for 30 to 45 minutes until you can easily insert and remove a fork. Drain potatoes and allow to completely cool. Peel off skin and slice into 1/4 slices.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a medium-sized bowl, mix together sour cream, soup, cheese, bacon, and green onions.
In a 9x13 baking dish, spread 1 cup of mixture on the bottom of the dish until bottom is evenly covered. In a single layer, place potato slices over the bottom layer of cheese mixture. Scoop one half of remaining cheese mixture over potato slices and spread until evenly covered. Repeat steps once more (potato slices and then remaining cheese mixture). Bake uncovered for 35 to 45 minutes until casserole is bubbling. Remove, serve, and enjoy!