The snow has finally melted and it’s time to break out the grill! These are, hands down, one of my most favorite Spring and Summertime recipes. Oh, my mouth just waters when I think about the spicy, tangy juicy chicken and crisp vegetables. They’re crazy good fresh off the grill, but I’m infatuated with placing leftovers on top of mixed greens with cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and avocado sprinkled with a little extra balsamic vinegar and lime juice.
Since these chicken skewers make a frequent debut at our home, my personal grill master (the handsome husband) and I have learned a few tricks along the way. If you’re using regular wooden or bamboo skewers, soak them in water for about 10 to 15 minutes prior to using. It helps prevent them from completely catching on fire. However, the tips will still get a little charred. We bought these flexible wire skewers last year and have become fans. Check them out!
Also, prior to grilling place some aluminum foil over the grill grates. Once you’ve placed the skewers on the grill, pour the remaining marinade over the skewers. This insane grilling/steaming combination makes the natural flavors of the chicken and vegetables pop while keeping everything oh so moist!
Okay, seriously you need to make these soon. Squeeze them in this week’s menu and your mouth and stomach… and your family too… will be requesting them over and over this summer. I can’t wait to hear if you love leftovers on a salad as much as I do!
Chili Chicken Kabobs
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 fresh large lime juice or 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½-1 tsp cayenne pepper optional... of course, with more comes more spiciness!
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 large chicken breast cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2-3 medium zucchini or yellow summer squash cut into 1 inch slices and then sliced in half
- 1 large sweet onion chopped into thick pieces
- 2 large red bell peppers chopped into thick pieces
- Pre-heat grill to medium heat.
- In a small bowl whisk olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, chili powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, minced garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Place chicken pieces in a shallow baking dish. Pour mixture over chicken. Stir to coat chicken well and refrigerate. Allow pieces to marinate at least 30 minutes. For best results, marinate overnight.
- Alternate one piece of chicken, onion, bell pepper, and zucchini while threading onto skewers. Pour the remaining marinade over the entire skewer.
- Grill for 8 to 10 minutes (about 2 minutes on each side) or until chicken no longer pink.