I’m not sure where you live, but our Utah weather is crazy. Last week, we had a foot of snow dump in the morning and by the afternoon it was melted. Since Utah can’t decide whether it’s winter or spring, I’m taking advantage of these last few cold days by spoiling myself with this creamy chicken noodle soup. I made it again tonight and literally want to drink the broth from a glass. It’s creamy, comforting, and heavenly. Am I the only one who consumed over soup recipes during cold weather?
I’m a big believer in tweaking recipes to make them healthier. If you can’t taste a difference, why not make it healthier? Creamy soups 90% of the time call for heavy whipping cream. There are two types of fats: ones that cause health issues and ones that fight health issues. Heavy whipping cream is a low nutrition, artery-clogging fat which nominates it as a bad fat. Coconut milk’s fatty acids, on the other hand, aid in weight loss, lower cholesterol, reduce heart disease, improve skin and hair… blah, blah, blah. You get the picture. You won’t be able to taste a difference, but your body will thank you for substituting heavy whipping cream with coconut milk.
I don’t purchase everything organic because it can start getting pretty pricey. However, there are some things that must be an organic purchase. Carrots are one of them. I was enjoying a raw carrot once and realized my tongue started to tingle afterwards along with a horrible aftertaste. Chemicals? Pesticides? Who knows, but I was instantly converted to organic carrots. Organic carrots are actually pretty cheap and make a huge difference in quality and taste. Do the taste test yourself and let me know which carrot tastes better.
Am I the only one who is dying for grilling weather? Well, the winter months can be long without using my grill. I love how it makes chicken crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. I love grilled chicken especially in this soup. My George Foreman has made grilling chicken quick and easy. Okay, you’ve waited long enough. Enjoy this creamy, luscious and comforting chicken noodle soup. Here are the ingredients I use:
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- 16 oz bowtie fusilli, or penne pasta (I used organic Garofalo bowtie pasta), prepared according to package directions
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 1 Tbs minced garlic
- 32 oz organic chicken broth/stock
- 4 large carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 Tbs dried oregano
- 1 Tbs dried basil
- 1 Tbs dried parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 10 chicken tenders thawed
- 4 cups coconut milk I used Silk original coconut milk
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile in a large pot , heat olive oil over medium heat for about 1 minute. Add onion and garlic. Cook for about 2 minutes until onions are slightly translucent. Add chicken broth and bring to boil.
- Add carrots, oregano, basil, parsley, salt, and pepper and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer carrots for about 6 to 8 minutes until slightly tender.
- There are two options for cooking the chicken: grilling or boiling in soup. Either grill your chicken for 3 to 4 minutes, cut into 1 inch pieces, and add to soup or cut thawed chicken tenders into 1 inch pieces and add to soup. Simmer only until chicken no longer pink. Add coconut milk and cook only until heated through. Remove from heat and add drained pasta.
- Serve warm and enjoy!