Nurses sometimes forget what is and isn’t appropriate to talk about while eating. At work, we can talk easily about all sorts of gruesome and disgusting details while enjoying our lunch. However, I’ve learned my morbid and nasty stories are not as welcomed in normal dining circumstances. Shocking, right?
So, I’m going to let you peacefully eat these creamy mashed potatoes with your eyes before I talk with you about something a little uncomfortable and unpleasant. You’ll want to keep reading because ‘it’ starts shortly after birth at a 3% rate, exceeds 50% by the age 50, and reaches over 90% by the age 80. So, most likely you, your spouse or child are being affected.
Thanksgiving and Christmas would not be the same without this traditional dish. I’m pretty sure creamy mashed potatoes were on the menu for the first Thanksgiving feast. Since your Thanksgiving feast must be complete, here’s some mashed potatoes for you with a healthy tweak. You might be surprised by some of the ingredients, but trust me…. these mashed potatoes are fluffy, cheesy, creamy and oh so tasty.
Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- 6 large red potatoes washed and cut into 1 inch chunks (you can peel them all, if you prefer no skin)
- 1 head of cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup shredded cheese my favorite is Colby Jack
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Dried parsley for garnishing
- In a large pot, bring 8 cups of water to a boil. Add potato chunks and cauliflower florets into boiling water. Boil for 25 to 30 minutes until both are very tender and soft. Turn off heat and drain well. Return potatoes and cauliflower to pot.
- Add remaining ingredients and mash everything together while mixing ingredients. Serve warm.
So… Constipation (I told my nurse-side can just dive into unpleasant topics without hesitation). This very uncomfortable problem affects a large percentage of the American population. I did some research and over 18,000 people a month are searching online for constipation relief ideas. Don’t be embarrassed if you or a loved one are currently struggling with constipation… you’re obviously not alone.
Let me introduce you to this ingenious invention. It’s natural, effective, preventative, and doesn’t include you increasing your fiber intake (which I also highly recommend… oh, and don’t forget your water intake either!). I love its name ‘Squatty Potty’. They’re all about ‘casting aside the taboo of potty talk’. Check out this quick little video that tells you more!
This generous company sent me a bamboo and regular Squatty Potty. I think this product is fabulous for digestive health. Since they are also motivated to help you get healthy, they are giving away a Squatty Potty AND $100 gift card towards groceries. Enter below!