Some days you just need a treat. It may be tempting to grab a candy bar at the checkout counter, but instead you should make these chocolate caramel bars. You won’t regret it!
These yummy chocolate caramel oatmeal bars are super simple and really easy to put together. They would be great for a potluck, the next big game, or just a fun dessert on a Friday night. Everyone will love them! Do you guys have a favorite candy bar? These remind me of a mix between a milky way and a twix, which means it is totally amazing!
Whenever I make a treat like this, I always eat some and then send the rest off to work with my husband. Not only am I happy to have had a yummy treat to satisfy my sweet tooth, but my husband’s co-workers get to enjoy them too! (Plus, I won’t eat them all, because I totally would if they stayed in the house!)
The mixture of caramel and chocolate are delicious and the crust has the perfect texture. Oh, and there are oats and pecans, which not only add a wonderful flavor but also some fiber. So these are basically healthy right? Okay, well I guess the jury’s still out on that!
You can totally experiment with this recipe too, add some coconut flakes, some dried cranberries, white chocolate chips, butterschoch chips or even some kosher salt and make these into salted caramel chocolate bars. YUM! The possibilities are endless!
Life is about balance, which means enjoying these types of treats every now and then and not feeling guilty because of it. So go make these, share them with some loved ones, and be happy!
Caramel Chocolate Bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter cubed
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 11 ounces Kraft Caramels unwrapped
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Set half aside for topping.
- Press the remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave safe bowl, combine caramels and milk. Heat caramels in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until melted and smooth.
- Once crumb mixture has baked for 15 minutes, sprinkle with the chocolate chips and pecans. Drizzle melted caramels over top.
- Sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture. Bake for additional 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours before cutting.