Thanksgiving dinner wouldn’t be complete without stuffing. However, traditional stuffing seemed a little boring to me this year. I always think of YOU before creating a new recipe because I want you to be healthy AND enjoy the food you eat.
Well, you’re probably tired of me professing my love for fresh fruits and vegetables. I can’t help myself! If juicy, crisp apples are perfect in my Creamy Apple Oatmeal, why wouldn’t they be fabulous in stuffing? Throw in some crunchy celery, herbs and savory breakfast sausage… and WALLAH! Fluffy stuffing with apple sausage that might steal the spotlight of your main dish this Thanksgiving.
Apple Sausage Stuffing
- 1 Tbs coconut or olive oil
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 1/2 cups unsalted organic chicken stock
- 1/4 cup dried parsley
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 12 ounces toasted whole wheat bread cubes
- 1 lb chicken or turkey breakfast sausage browned
- 3 cups finely chopped apple
- Olive oil cooking spray
- In a large pot over medium heat, add oil and heat for 1 minute. Add celery and onion. Cook until onion is translucent about 3 to 4 minutes. Add chicken stock, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to boil.
- Meanwhile, brown sausage and chop apple.
- Once stock mixture is boiling, add bread crumbs and stir well. Add browned sausage and apples and mix well.
- Lightly spray 11 x 7 baking dish with olive oil cooking spray. Scoop stuffing in baking dish and spray lightly with cooking spray. Bake stuffing at 350° for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.
I’m creating your perfect Thanksgiving menu because you have enough to stress about until then (are the in-laws coming into town?). Since I’m going to be cooking several more healthy, mouthwatering Thanksgiving dishes, I needed this adorable apron to get me in the Thanksgiving spirit. Have you already check out my Creamy Mashed Potatoes?