I see many of you have fallen in love with my Banana Muffins and Multigrain Waffles. How could their light, fluffy, sweet and deliciousness not spark a breakfast-love affair? I make both frequently and still obsessed. So… one little morning, I decided to combine the two! Word of caution: After making this banana waffle recipe, you may be tempted to make these every morning. You may want to stock up on bananas.
My whole mission is to create tasty, sweet, and enjoyable food full of nutrition. By sneaking in Chia seeds and Flax seeds, my mission is quickly achieved! These little power seeds carry serious nutrition. While your mouth is loving everything about these banana waffles, your body will be loving the support to fight obesity, Diabetes, and heart disease. You can also grind up the flax seeds to make flax seed meal. Just put desired amount (2 Tbs for this recipe) in a quality blender like a Vitamix to finely grind to a flour-like consistency. Viola! You have flax seed meal.
Let’s talk toppings. Don’t insult all the nutritional value of these waffles by topping them with margarine, butter, or artificial maple syrup. Here’s some proven and loved topping options (remember my food critics, my husband and 2 year-old). Spread coconut oil over warm waffle (just like you would butter) and then pour on pure maple syrup. Or spread on natural peanut butter (my favorite is Adam’s Peanut Butter) and top with sliced fresh strawberries and bananas. Both options are crazy good! I can’t wait to hear about which one you like best.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup quick whole oats
- 2 Tbs flax seeds or flax seed meal
- 2 Tbs chia seeds optional
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups vanilla almond milk or vanilla coconut milk
- 2 ripe bananas peeled (one blended with milk and one mashed)
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together flour, oats, flax seeds, chia seeds, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a Vitamix blender, add milk and 1 banana. Blend on high for 30 seconds until well blended. In a small bowl, mash remaining banana. Add both milk mixture and mashed banana to dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Preheat waffle iron on low-medium heat. Lightly grease with olive oil cooking spray each time prior to pouring about 1/2 cup mixture in center of waffle iron. Cook until golden brown.