This tender roast beef with cooked carrots, soft potatoes, and savory fresh gravy has been one of my favorites recipes since childhood.
I grew up having roast beef with cooked potatoes and carrots every Sunday. Sunday was our family day where we were all guaranteed to be together and my mom faithfully cooked this same meal. AND no… we never got tired of eating it every week! It’s one of those meals you look forward to each time.
I’m a huge fan of organic produce. It’s free of all those harmful chemicals AND there’s a significant difference in taste and quality. Organic produce is becoming more affordable and highly recommend choosing organic produce especially fruits and vegetables with a thin skin (carrots, potatoes, apples, grapes, etc.). Your body and tastebuds will thank you!
Okay, let’s talk slow cookers. You don’t need anything fancy. I own these two slow cookers below and they are not expensive. I highly recommend having at least two of different sizes so you can indulge in these slow cooker recipes.
Enjoy this family favorite roast beed recipe!
Slow Cooker Roast Beef, Potatoes, and Carrots
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs sirloin, round, or arm beef roast thawed
- 1 small sweet onion diced
- 4 large potatoes peeled
- 3 large carrots peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 14.5 oz can of organic natural beef broth or stock
- 1 Tbs minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1 Tbs cornstarch
- 1 Tbs water
- Add olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and heat for 1 minute. Brown roast on each side for 1 to 2 minutes.
- In a large slow cooker, spread diced onions evenly over the bottom. Transfer browned roast and drippings over onions. Arrange potatoes and carrots around the sides.
- In a small bowl, combine beef broth, garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes (optional). Pour evenly over roast, potatoes, and carrots. Cover and cook on HIGH for 5-6 hours or on LOW 8-10 hours.
- For gravy: Remove roast, potatoes, and carrots from slow cooker when completely cooked leaving remaining liquid. Pour liquid into a medium-size pot and bring to boil over medium heat. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth. While constantly whisking the boiling liquid, add the cornstarch mixture. Cook for 1 minute until gravy thickens. Season with additional salt and pepper as needed. Pour over meal and enjoy!