Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 cup warm water 110-115 degrees F
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups pastry whole wheat flour I usually use the brand Red Mill
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons instant active dry yeast active dry yeast will work also
- 3 tablespoons butter softened (real butter! Read those ingredients!)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large mixing bowl; stir.
- Add flours and yeast, and knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10-15 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with a clean towel and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate small bowl, combine and stir together 3 Tbs sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon. In a 9" pie pan, grease all sides with 1 Tbs of butter. Add 1 Tbs of cinnamon mixture in the center of the pie pan. While tilting the pan, carefully pat the edges while rotating in order to coat all sides and bottom with a thin layer of cinnamon sugar. Reserve remaining cinnamon sugar, if any remaining.
- Once dough has doubled, punch dough down; knead for a few minutes until smooth. Then on a lightly floured surface, use a rolling pin to roll dough flat in a large rectangle shape (about 1/2 inch thick). Spread the remaining 2 Tbs of butter thinly covering the whole surface of the dough. Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon sugar evenly covering the layer of butter. Beginning with the longest side, begin rolling the dough from one end to the other. Using floss or a serrated knife, cut 2 inch thick slices. Place slices, beginning with one in the center, in greased and cinnamon sugared pie pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. If rolls start browning too soon, lightly lay a piece of foil on top of the loaf to prevent too much darkening.
- Remove cinnamon rolls from oven and allow to rest in the pan for a few minutes. Remove to a wire rack. Break apart and enjoy while still warm!
- *TO MAKE BREAD: After step 2, Punch dough down; knead for a few minutes until smooth and then form into a loaf. Place in greased loaf pan and cover. Let rise in a warm place until almost doubled in size, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.