I had my second child a couple months ago and have loved focusing on my family and adjusting to a new normal. Although, our new normal during these last couple months has consisted of eating out a lot or cooking previously prepared frozen meals. I have definitely craved more kitchen time creating healthy, delicious food. Since it’s more than chilly outside, I’m obsessed with soups like my Chicken Tortellini Soup and my Simple Turkey Chili (which just won a chili cook off!). And there’s nothing like enjoying some sweet, honey cornbread as a side dish.
Cornbread can be tricking when figuring out the right consistency. I like mine to be light and fluffy but still have the cornmeal texture. If you haven’t heard my rant about whole wheat pastry flour yet, prepare yourself. I’m officially addicted! It has all the nutritional benefits of whole wheat, but doesn’t leave your baked goods dense and heavy. It creates perfect fluffy breads, muffins, waffles, and whatever else you love to bake. You will love it guaranteed. Try it out in my Multigrain Waffles or my Banana Muffins. Let me know how much you love it after using it in these honey cornbread muffins. Enjoy, my friends!
Honey Cornbread Muffins
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 Tbs flaxseed meal
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup honey
- 2/3 olive oil
- 1/2 cup almond or coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Into a large bowl, mix the cornmeal, flour, flaxseed meal, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, honey, oil, and milk. Add the wet to the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.
- Place muffin paper liners or lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin. Evenly pour cornbread mixture into each muffin tin. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center. Enjoy warm!