Delicious gingerbread with a fluffy pudding filling and strawberries! Um, where do I sign up?!?! This gingerbread trifle recipe is everything you could want in a dessert! Who says gingerbread is only for Christmas? Not me!
Did you know gingerbread goes really well with strawberries and vanilla pudding AND cool whip? This gingerbread trifle is amazing and because it is a trifle it has so many delicious layers that it feels like it will never end! And that is a great thing.
I had never tried trifle until late in my college years. I was at a dear friend’s house and after dinner she pulled out this huge glass dish filled with fruit and cool whip. It was so beautiful and I couldn’t wait to try it! Well, it did not disappoint!
Ever since I have eaten trifle whenever I get the chance and this gingerbread trifle recipe is wonderful and simple to make. I know you might be thinking, simple? There are like a million ingredients! But really there aren’t, I promise. The gingerbread cake part is the “busiest” part of the recipe and it’s really just a cake with all the cake ingredients. You can even make it the day before. Actually, I recommend that since it has to cool completely.
To make the vanilla filling, simply make instant vanilla and then let it chill. Right before the trifle assembly, simply fold cool whip into the vanilla pudding. Oh man, it is so hard not to eat this right out of the bowl. I won’t tell if you sneak a spoonful!
Wash, rinse, and slice the strawberries then begin layering! I like to start with the cake on the bottom, followed by the vanilla mixture and then strawberries. Then repeat! This is super easy to assemble and even easier to eat!
And can we just admire how beautiful it is!? Seriously! And hey you can even switch the recipe up with a different cake, different pudding mix and different fruit! You could use crushed cookies or candy as another layer! Endless possibilities!
Gingerbread Trifle Recipe
- 2 cups flour I use whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup full-flavored molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 cup hot milk I used vanilla almond milk
- (2) 3.72 ounce vanilla instant pudding prepared per instructions
- 9 ounce cool whip
- 4 cups fresh strawberries washed and diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray 8x8 glass baking dish with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
- In a medium bowl with a hand mixer or standing mixer, mix together butter and sugar until creamy. Add molasses and egg. Combine well. Add flour mixture and hot milk alternating between the two. Mix well until batter is smooth with no lumps.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and bake for 35 to 40 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, prepare instant vanilla pudding per instructions and chill. Once pudding is set, whisk cool whip and pudding together until smooth. Return to refrigerator.
- Once the gingerbread cake is baked, allow cake to completely cool. Once cooled, cut cake into one inch pieces. In a large glass bowl, layer first with half the gingerbread cake pieces, then half the pudding mixture, and half of the strawberries. Repeat the layers one time to complete the trifle. Cover with clear wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.