This was my first time baking with gluten-free flour. I’m currently playing The Game-On Health Challenge (come play the next round with me!), and I chose a gluten-free meal plan. I LoVe muffins WAY too much to give them up for 6 weeks. So, I needed to find a solution. I was nervous waiting the 15 minutes while they baked, but they turned out light, fluffy, and moist! My 3 ‘musts’ when it comes to muffins.
Pumpkin Gluten-Free and Vegan Muffins
- 2 cups Gluten-free all purpose baking flour I use Bob's Red Mill
- 1 tsp xanthan gum or flaxseed meal I used flaxseed meal
- 2 tsp baking powder read ingredients... some are NOT gluten-free
- 1 tsp baking soda same as baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup honey or organic agave
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup milk of your choice I used coconut milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
Preheat oven to 375.
In a large bowl, combine flour, xanthan gum/flaxseed meal, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Mix well.
In a separate medium-sized bowl, combine pumpkin, applesauce, honey, olive oil, milk, and vanilla.
Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well. In a lightly greased muffin pan, pour about 1/3 cup batter into each muffin cup. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. The tops will be slightly golden brown.
Recipe NotesYields 1 dozen