My grandma was a fabulous cook. If you weren’t 50 pounds overweight, she thought you were starving to death. She would have boxes (yes… BOXES) of Ding Dongs and Twinkies lining her kitchen counter when you first walked through the door. You ate when you first arrived… and then in 20 minute increments until you left. Oh, I miss her dearly.
My grandma knew how to host a Thanksgiving. She had a large table filled to capacity with all the classics such as creamy mashed potatoes, stuffing, sweet potato casserole, and turkey. We had the ‘main event’ usually around noon and then spent the entire day eating until we exploded. My grandma made Thanksgiving an occasion, and I still love Thanksgiving today because of her.
Dairy Free, Egg Free Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Since Thanksgiving is NOT complete without a traditional pumpkin pie, I thought I would complete your thanksgiving menu with this dairy and egg free pumpkin pie recipe. Full-fat coconut milk make this pie creamy, sweet and jam-packed with healthy fats!
This pumpkin pie completes my traditional (with a healthy tweak) Thanksgiving menu. Please have a fun, safe, full of lasting memories Thanksgiving!
Egg Free Pumpkin Pie Recipe (Dairy Free)
Dairy Free Pumpkin Pie Filling
- 1 can 15 oz pumpkin or sweet potato puree
- 1 13.5 oz can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 Tbs ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbs pure vanilla extract
Crust for Pumpkin Pie
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbs cold water
How to make Pumpkin Pie Crust
- Preheat oven to 200 F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, and brown sugar.
- Add oil and stir. Add water one tablespoon at a time until it just sticks together but is not gummy. Lightly grease 10-inch pie pan.
- Place dough in between two sheets of wax paper and roll out until about 1/4 inch thick. Carefully peel away one sheet of wax paper and place that side down into the pie pan. Press dough lightly until formed to pie pan. Remove remaining sheet of wax paper.
- Place crust in the oven and immediately increase the temperature to 350 F. Bake 15 minutes. Remove and let cool.
How to make Non Dairy Pumpkin Pie
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Blend all healthy pumpkin pie ingredients together until smooth. Pour into a prepared pie crust (such as crust recipe listed above) in a 10-inch round pan. Loosely place strips of aluminum foil around crust to prevent too much browning while baking.
- Bake 27 to 30 minutes. Let cool and then refrigerate at least 5 hours uncovered for the pie to thicken and set.