Fluffy, satisfying, and sweet waffles brimming full of nutrients is the perfect way to kick-start your day. These are a family favorite including my two year old. She loves them with natural peanut butter and bananas.
This batter can be refrigerated up to 3 days. However, the chia seeds and oatmeal can absorb lots of the liquid. Just add 1/4 to 1/2 cup more almond or coconut milk prior to using.
Chia seeds and Flax seeds can be found prepackaged or in bins at your grocery store (I’ve seen them in Whole Foods and Winco bins). These little seeds carrying a mean nutrition punch. They’re brimming with healthy fats, Omega-3s, protein, fiber, and lots and lots of power to fight obesity, Diabetes, and heart disease. Their mild flavor and texture is not even noticed, but your body will love and soak up all their nutritional value. Flax seeds can be ground into meal. I put 2 Tbs of Flax seed in my Vitamix to finely grind to a flour-like consistency. Viola! You have Flax seed meal.
Instead of high sugary options like syrup, top them with your favorite fruit or natural peanut butter and bananas. The burst of sweetness, juiciness, and flavors will make this a perfect healthy breakfast. You’ll be full, satisfied, and energized by all vitamins and anti-oxidants. Enjoy and get ready to attack this day!
- 1 and 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup quick whole oats
- 2 Tbs flax seeds or flax seed meal
- 2 Tbs chia seeds optional
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups vanilla almond milk or vanilla coconut milk
- 2 Tbs pure honey or agave
- Combine all dry ingredients or first 7 ingredients together well in medium-sized bowl. Mix well.
- Add milk and honey into dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pre-heat waffle iron. Grease waffle iron with light olive oil cooking spray. Pour 1/2 cup batter in center and bake to preference.