This leftover turkey enchilada recipe is my go to recipe when I have lots of shredded turkey. It gives a whole new spin to that turkey meat that you may be getting tired of and that you probably still have tons of in your fridge. I like to make this, eat it for dinner and then use it as a quick and easy lunch for both my husband and myself for the rest of the week. It’s super delicious and still yummy when reheated. My husband always comes home telling me his lunch was soooo good!
This turkey enchilada recipe is a layered enchilada, or as we call it here in NM, a stacked enchilada, where the tortillas are stacked flat one on top of the other as opposed to rolling them. I have made this recipe and rolled the tortillas but it didn’t make a difference and stacking them is easier, so that’s what I do now.
The sauce is super simple to make and probably the star of the dish. It’s a yummy green sauce that will make you never want the canned green sauce ever again! Especially when you realize how easy it is to make! Throw the ingredients in the pot, boil and then transfer to a blender. Add a few more ingredients and then blend! I’ve been known to make extra sauce just so my husband can pour more over his enchiladas before he digs in!
This leftover turkey enchilada casserole recipe is so good you will want to make it over and over again! It is our go to when we have lots of turkey leftover and let’s be honest, who doesn’t this time of year?! But, you ask, what of those people who visited relatives for Thanksgiving and didn’t bring home any leftovers? Never fear! This recipe is just as delicious with shredded chicken! I’ve been known to grab a rotisserie chicken from the store and whip up this casserole in no time flat. Like I said super easy and oh-so good!
Seriously though, give this recipe a try. It takes all that turkey in your fridge that you have no idea what to do with, and at this point probably tired of eating, and transforms it into a flavorful delicious dish that you can’t believe you lived without!
Please visit my blog, https://www.ATableFullofJoy.com for more yummy recipes! See you there!
Leftover Turkey Enchilada Recipe
- 13 to matillos husk removed and rinsed
- ½ large white onion
- 2 serrano peppers
- 1 jalapeno
- 4 large cloves of garlic
- 1 cup cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp cumin
- vegetable oil for frying
- 14 corn tortillas may need more depending on size of dish*
- 3 cups turkey shredded
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2.5 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Add tomatillos, onion, serrano and jalapeno (seeds removed) to a medium sized cooking pot. No need to chop up! Cover with ~6 cups of water. Bring water to boil over med-high high and boil until tomatillos are no longer bright green, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer tomatillos, onion, and peppers to a blender or food processor. You do not need the water you boiled them in.
- Add garlic, cilantro, and cumin to blender and blend until fully combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat up oil in a fry pan and fry each tortilla on both sides until they are slightly browned but still pliable. About 10-20 seconds each side if the oil is nice and hot. Place fried tortillas on a paper towel to soak up extra oil.
- When done frying the tortillas, assemble the enchilada. Begin with putting 2/3 cup of tomatillo sauce in the bottom of your casserole dish*. Lay four tortillas, followed by 1 cup of turkey, ½ cup cheese and 2/3 cups tomatillo sauce. Then lay three tortillas over it followed by the same amount of turkey, cheese and sauce. Repeat with three more tortillas, turkey, cheese and sauce. Then place 4 tortillas on top, followed by ½ cup sour cream (spread it out), 1 cup cheese and the remaining sauce.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the cheese is fully melted and slightly browned.