Creamy garlic mashed potatoes made the easy way- no boil, in the crockpot!
There is nothing I love more than creamy garlic mashed potatoes as a side dish. They are so comforting and they go with so many main dishes!
But, during the holidays we get so hectic we just don’t have time to watch yet another pot on the stove. No worries, I got you covered with this slow cooker garlic mashed potato recipe!
What I really love about slow cooker recipes is you can just throw everything in the pot and the hard part is over. That’s the same with this recipe, the hardest part is peeling the potatoes beforehand.
What potatoes can I use?
For this recipe, I used russet potatoes. I just peeled them, cut them into a large dice and threw them in the pot.
You can also use a tender skin potato like red potatoes and leave the skin on, it’s really up to you. Keep in mind though that russet potatoes mash up super fluffy and other varieties can get a little gummy.
Easy Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes Directions:
- If using russet potatoes, peel them and cut them into a large dice. Throw them into a slow cooker with stock, minced garlic, herbs, and salt.
- I recommend cooking them on low for 6-7 hours but if you need them faster, on high for 3-4 hours will do. Keep in mind, the potatoes might get browned around the edges on the high setting.
- When the potatoes are tender, add butter, sour cream, half and half, and seasonings.
- Mash until smooth or to the consistency you like. Add a touch more stock if you like your mashed potatoes a little looser, enjoy!
Don’t you just love roasted garlic mashed potatoes?! The perfect side for your holiday meal!
Alternatives and Add-Ons:
- Add cream cheese at the last step for even creamier potatoes!
- Add bacon, scallions, and shredded cheddar cheese, instant loaded potato mashed potatoes!
I don’t have a slow cooker, can I make these another way?
Sure can! Instead of adding everything to the slow cooker, we are going to boil the potatoes first.
Peel and cut the potatoes just like the directions. Place in a large pot with the garlic and cover with cold water. Cover, bring to a boil.
Boil until tender 15-20 minutes, start checking tenderness at the 10-minute mark. Drain potatoes.
Add remaining ingredients and mash, that’s it!
What is your favorite way to enjoy creamy garlic mashed potatoes?!
I hope you enjoyed today’s recipe! Please visit my blog ThisSillyGirlsKitchen.com for even more yummy recipe ideas!
Easy Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 3 pounds russet potatoes peeled, large dice
- 1 cup chicken stock divided
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary fine chop
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme fine chop
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 5 cracks black pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley fine chop, optional
Place potatoes, 3/4 cup of the stock, the garlic, rosemary, thyme, and half of the salt. Book on low 6-7 hours or high 3-4 hours. I recommend cooking it on low. On the high setting, you might start browning the potatoes slightly.
Every hour, if you can stir the potatoes.
Once the potatoes are tender, add the remaining ingredients except for the leftover stock and parsley. Mash until they are the consistency you like. If you like them a little looser, add the remaining stock. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Garnish with parsley (optional).