This easy breakfast nacho recipe makes every bite delicious! My inspiration was to add everything I love in a breakfast burrito but to eat it on tortilla chips! YUM!
Ever since living in NM I have loved finding the best breakfast burritos wherever I go. When I went to grad school in a little town called Socorro, they had a place called Burrito Time and they served the best breakfast burrito ever. Not only were they cheap, we are talking $3 or less, they were fast, seriously delicious and the burritos were huge. Perfect for a poor college student!
To make these nachos I pretty much took what I loved from their breakfast burritos and piled it on top of tortilla chips. And you know what? It was sooooo good. Like, I want these all the time good!
To make these breakfast nachos, it’s as easy as frying up some bacon, cooking some potatoes, making some scrambled eggs and then combining everything on top of delicious tortilla chips. You can fry up some jalapeno, but that’s totally optional and only for those who like a spicy addition to their breakfast. Then I add diced tomato, shredded cheese, and top everything off with one of my favorite store-bought salsas (you can totally make your own though!). I love the Herdez Green Salsa and will eat it on anything and everything! Ok well, maybe not dessert! But it really adds the perfect final touch to these breakfast nachos!
And hey, if you only have tortillas and no chips, no worries! Just pile everything in a tortilla and make an awesome breakfast burrito!
If you do decide to fry up the jalapeno just make sure your kitchen is well ventilated and maybe have a fan going. The first time I fried a jalapeno, boy oh boy, it was rough. I had a hard time breathing from all the capsaicin in the air. Learn from my mistake and trust me on this, open a window and turn on a fan. Or maybe don’t cook the jalapeno for too long- that could also have been my mistake. Oh well, you live and you learn! It sure was delicious though!
To up your multitasking game, you could also bake your bacon in the oven while frying your potatoes on the stove. This would cut down on cooking time. Simply lay out your bacon on a parchment lined cookie sheet (the kind with edges all around). Then stick the bacon in a cold oven and set the preheat temperature to 400˚F. As the bacon heats up with the oven it will render the fat and make it some of the best bacon you’ve ever tasted! Cook for about 20 minutes or until the bacon is crispy enough for your liking! Easy peasy!
I love baking bacon because it then allows me to cook on the stove top without all the bacon splattering plus I can get more cooking done faster. Who doesn’t love that!
Okay, well you must try this breakfast nacho recipe! Let me know what your favorite breakfast nacho toppings are in the comments below!
Please visit my blog, https://www.ATableFullofJoy.com for more yummy recipes!
Easy Breakfast Nachos Recipe
- ½ lb bacon
- 2 medium potatoes shredded
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 eggs
- 1 jalapeno thinly sliced
- 1 ½ tsp butter
- 1 to mato diced
- ½ cup jack cheese
- green salsa I used herdez
- tortilla chips I used blue corn tortilla chips
- In a large skillet cook bacon.
- While bacon is cooking, using a cheese grater* shred two potatoes. I like to wash the potatoes, dry them and then with the skin on grate them.
- When the bacon is done, remove from pan and set on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Using the same skillet, put a ¼ cup of the bacon grease, or another oil for frying in the skillet and get it warm. Then add the shredded potatoes and garlic salt, salt and pepper. I like to sprinkle enough garlic powder on to cover the potatoes and then add a little salt and pepper. Add as much or as little of the seasonings as you want!
- Cooke the potatoes until they are nice and browned, flipping occasionally about 10-15 minutes. When done, set aside.
- While the skillet is still warm add the eggs and scramble. You will probably need to put the skillet back on med/high heat to finish cooking the eggs. If you don’t stir right away they eggs will turn into fried eggs.
- When the eggs are done, set aside and cut your jalapeno into thin slices. Then add the butter to the skillet along with the jalapeno slices and fry until soft and slightly blackened.*
- Dice your tomato and cut the bacon into small pieces.
- To assemble: Add a handful of chips to a bowl, top with eggs, jalapenos, potatoes, tomatoes, bacon and shredded cheese. Finish off with a healthy topping of green salsa.
- 10. Enjoy!
*Frying the jalapenos can be skipped, but do taste really yummy. If you do fry them make sure your kitchen is well ventilated and maybe have a fan on or a window open because the capsaicin in the pepper, when heated, can make it hard to breathe.