I have a serious infatuation with muffins! They are one of my most favorite breakfasts. Moist, light, and crumbly goodness crammed into a little fluffy muffin is pretty close to heaven for me. These Healthy Banana Muffins are NO exception. I really can’t play favorites though. I love my Pumpkin Muffins and Peach Muffins just as much.
I think my muffin addiction must be hereditary because my 2 year old daughter gets so excited while they’re baking! She keeps running over, looking in, and points while saying ‘cookies’. Yes, my sweet girl, they are just as amazing a freshly baked cookies.
There is one ingredient that ABSOLUTELY makes these whole wheat banana muffins above and beyond perfect. No… not the bananas (they’re obviously important too). No… not the whole wheat pastry flour that I constantly rant and rave about (it’s vital also). It’s the pure vanilla extract! It’s only 2 tsp worth, but makes these muffins out-of-this-world! I love waiting close to the oven while they bake because the vanilla, pure, and sweet aroma fills the air. Also, it makes a great and classy gift for those difficult to shop for. Christmas, hostess gift, housewarming? Perfect gift idea.
Healthy Banana Muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp flax seeds optional
- 2 bananas peeled and mashed (or blended)
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup honey or organic agave
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup milk of your choice... I used vanilla almond milk
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk together the bananas, applesauce, honey, olive oil, milk, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Fill lightly greased muffin pan with about 1/4 cup mixture. Bake for 20 to 23 minutes or until the tops have browned. The inside will be moist!
Top with a little natural peanut butter…. oh, it’s heaven.