Although I’m loving the warm weather, I may have shed a tear that soup season is coming to a close. Wait… was that a tear or are my eyes non-stop watering from allergies? Either way… I had to squeeze in this chicken sausage and rice soup one last time.
When it comes to soup, my husband is pretty picky. He likes hearty meals and feels most soups are well… girly food. It’s not that he doesn’t like the taste, he just rarely gets full off of soup. When he doesn’t like to eat something, he might as well triple-dog-dare me. Game on, honey, game on.
I’ve played around with this recipe a few times. I found the additional spice from the crushed red pepper to be the cherry on top. He LOVED it! Direct quote, “okay, I think you finally made a man’s soup… I’m getting seconds.”
A major part of healthy cooking is using quality ingredients. I can’t emphasize the importance of reading ingredients! Take two extra seconds, flip the package over, and read what ingredients are actually making up the food your purchasing. You’ll be surprised what junk is thrown in our foods.
I like Pacific Natural broths. Especially the ‘cage free’ portion on the chicken broth. Thank you documentary, Food, Inc. I don’t know if I’m more scarred or informed after watching it. Either way, I think we all need to open our eyes a little more about what we’re putting in our bodies. Hence, my ‘reading all ingredients’ rule.
Well, get ready for this fulfilling, satisfying, flavorful, rich, and yummy-in-your-tummy chicken sausage soup. It will be a winner!
Chicken Sausage and Rice Soup
- 1 Tbs coconut or olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion diced
- 1 Tbs minced garlic
- 1 14 oz turkey or chicken link sausage, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 32 oz organic chicken broth
- 1 32 oz organic vegetable broth
- 1 Tbs basil
- 1 Tbs oregano
- 1 Tbs dried parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper optional... if you like it spicy!
- 1 cup rice
- 2 chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 15 oz can organic diced tomatoes, drained
- Over medium heat in a large pot, heat oil for 1 to 2 minutes. Add onion and garlic. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes until onions are translucent. Add sausage and cook for additional 3 to 4 minutes until sausage is slightly brown.
- Add chicken broth, vegetable broth, basil, oregano, parsley, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. Bring to boil.
- Add rice. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add chicken, bell pepper, and diced tomatoes to pot. Bring to boil and cook for about 3 to 5 more minutes until chicken no longer pink. Remove from heat.
- Serve and enjoy!