Chicken, broccoli, and pasta just belong together. You can’t go wrong with combining these three ingredients. On those busy ‘it’s 5 and I have no idea what I’m making for dinner’ days, I recommend having these ingredients on hand. It will become one of your favorite easy go-to dinners. It’s quick, flavorful, and healthy. Your family will love it too.
For my gluten-free friends, I think the hardest part would be giving up pasta! I’ve tried a few gluten-free pastas and think they’re pretty tasty. My husband, however, does not agree. So… you know I don’t give up easily. My goal with anything healthy my husband dislikes is trial and error until something sticks. I snuck Goldbaum’s Brown Rice Pasta into this dish and he cleaned his plate. That’s code for he liked it!
For a whole wheat pasta option, I’m a fan of Garofalo pasta. It tastes like Italy (prego… that’s Italian for ‘you’re welcome’). It’s high quality with great texture and taste. I can really tell a difference between this pasta and cheaper options.
Chicken and Broccoli Pasta
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion diced
- 1 Tbs minced garlic
- 2 14.5 oz canned organic diced tomatoes, 1 can drained and 1 can with juices
- 4 cups fresh broccoli cut into florets
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbs Italian seasoning
- 3 large chicken breasts thawed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 lbs dry whole wheat or gluten-free brown rice penne pasta prepared according to package directions
- 2 Tbs fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm oil for 1 to 2 minutes. Add onion and garlic and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until garlic is golden and onions are translucent.
- Add tomatoes, broccoli, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning; stir well and bring to a boil. Add chicken. Turn down heat to simmer for about 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender; drain and add back into pot. Pour chicken sauce into pot and mix well.
- Top with Parmesan cheese. Serve.
Do you want more quick and easy healthy dinners? Try these ones out.