Let freedom ring! It’s the day of celebrating America’s Independence which means LOTS of mouthwatering food. There are plenty of great ideas out there, but here’s a collection of my favorite ‘healthy-ish’ red, white, and blue food ideas. Remember how I even let my hair down sometimes?
- 1) Hull your strawberries and cut the bottom tips for a flat edge.
- 2) Whip together reduced fat cream cheese and whipped cream.
- 3) Fill hulled strawberries with cream.
- 4) Toss the blueberries in an apricot sauce or apricot preserve.
- 5) Top creme filled strawberries with blueberries.
- 1) 2 cups pureed fresh strawberries
- 2) 2 cups fresh squeezed lemonade
- 3) 2 cups blueberry juice
- 4) paleta mold or dixie cups
For the first layer:
- Pour pureed strawberries into the mold to your desired layer.
- Freeze for 1 hour.
- Remove from freezer and insert your wooden sticks.
- Freeze for another hour. Freezing each layer completely will prevent colors from running.
- Pour your layer of lemonade.
- Return to freezer and freeze 1 hour.
- Remove mold from freezer and add your final layer.
- Return and freeze 1 hour or overnight.
- To serve run warm water along side of mold and remove carefully not to break wooden stick.
- 1) To make these, I used watermelon, apples and blueberries.
- 2) To keep the apples from browning, lightly brush them with lime or lemon juice.
- 3) Cut watermelon and apple pieces to thickness of the cookie cutter, then place cookie cutter on top of slices and push straight down. Place one fruit inside of another and finish with a blueberry in the middle.
- 4) Push the straw through all three pieces of fruit to keep it everything in place. If you have trouble pushing a paper straw through the apple portion, use a plastic straw first to create a pathway and then replace with the paper straw. Popsicle sticks will work as well.
For a gluten and dairy free option, try this amazing Berry Pavlova with Coconut Whipped Cream.
These Red White and Blueberry Skewers are pretty simple to put together. Wash fresh blueberries and strawberries and pat dry with paper towel. Slice the strawberries in half. Alternate mini marshmallows, blueberries, and strawberries on a thin wooden skewer.
- 1) 8 3-ounce plastic cups
- 2) sliced strawberries
- 3) fresh blueberries
- 4) 12 ounces Berry Limeade
- 1) Fill each cup halfway full with fresh fruit. Add about 1.5 ounces of Berry Lime Iced Tea to fill each cup. Do not overfill.
- 2) Cover each cup with a small piece of foil and insert a popsicle stick into the center of each cup.
- 3) Freeze for at least 4 hours.
- Mix together 1 cup washed fresh raspberries, 2/3 cup sugar, 1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice, and 2 cups water. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or serve with ice.
- 1) Spread softened reduced fat cream cheese on toasted whole grain bread.
- 2) In a blender, puree some fresh strawberries or fresh raspberries. Spread pureed fruit over cream cheese leaving a square at the top left jam free for your blueberries.
- 3) Wash your blue berries and arrange them evenly in the white space at the top left of your toast. This will create your stars effect. You can use four or five very small berries for each row, or three large ones, it’s all up to whatever you prefer.
- 4) Cut your banana into fairly thin slices and then cut the round pieces in half. Arrange them in rows to create your white stripes, and your all done!
- 5) Serve with a little bowl of raspberries, walnuts and blueberries. You could also mix them with Greek yogurt to make a mini parfait. Just a yummy side suggestion! Enjoy!
I WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!
What are some of your favorite red, white, and blue dishes for the 4th of July?