Mom, what’s for dinner? Honey, what’s for dinner? Self, what ARE we going to have for dinner?!?! Until I became and wife and a mother, I didn’t realize these questions could feel like a 50 lb bag of stress some days…. Since I’m now the busy mom, I decided to create a healthy, modern, this-is-2013 Shepard’s Pie casserole.
- 4 large organic yams or sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 lb ground beef or ground turkey, browned
- 1 Tbs minced garlic
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 3 large organic carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup organic frozen baby peas
- 1 cup organic frozen sweet corn
- 1 can (15 oz) organic diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 Tbs dried parsley (divided)
- 1 tsp salt (divided)
- 1 tsp black pepper (divided)
- 1/2 Tbs dried oregano
- 1/2 Tbs dried basil
- 2 cups shredded Colby Jack cheese
Preheat oven to 400.
In a large pot, bring 8 cups of water to a boil. Add yams/sweet potato pieces. Boil for 15 to 20 minutes until soft. Drain well. Return to pot. Add 1 Tbs parsley, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. Mash yams/sweet potatoes well while mixing in spices.
Meanwhile in a large frying pan over medium heat, brown ground beef/turkey with garlic and onion.
Once browned, add carrots to meat mixture. Continue cooking for 3 to 4 minutes until carrots are slightly tender.
Add peas, sweet corn, tomatoes, 1 Tbs parsley, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, oregano, and basil in the meat mixture and stir well. Cook for additional 2 to 3 minutes until heated through. Removed from heat.
In a 9x2x13 baking dish, pour and spread meat mixture evenly on the bottom. Spoon yam/sweet potatoes over meat mixture and smooth over top.
Bake at 400 for 10 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over the top and bake for additional 5 minutes.
Serve warm and enjoy!