If you need a guaranteed recipe that will be loved by all, Mango Chicken Tacos are THE only way to go (well, my Baked Burritos are similar and pretty awesome too). They are quick, healthy, SUPER tasty, and foolproof. People rave about this recipe each time and make me feel like a celebrity chef! I really should feel guilty about all the praise since the hardest part is putting the lid on the slow cooker. BUT who am I to correct someone when the juicy mango chicken DOES taste like I’ve slaved away for hours in the kitchen? #lovemyslowcooker
Last weekend, My husband and I went shopping with our kids. The Nike Outlet had a 30% off your total purchase coupon that could NOT be passed up. Anyway, we spent too much time oohing and aahing over sale prices and needed to grab something to eat quick since bedtime was rapidly approaching.
We quickly scanned the restaurant options and chose a random Mexican place. When I say it was the worst Mexican we’ve ever eaten, I seriously mean Taco Bell is gourmet compared to this place. From rubber tortillas, shredded chicken from a can, and mystery guacamole, it was disgusting!
When we left, I almost felt it my civic duty to camp outside and warn fellow innocent families of the horrifying food that waited them inside. Well, I had to make these mango chicken tacos within a couple days to remind us how great Mexican can taste.
Come close. I’m going to share my secret on how to make each healthy recipe a yummy success. Ready? Purchase quality ingredients! When you have quality ingredients, the flavors automatically make everything taste exceptional. Quality cherry tomatoes, avocados, black beans, tortillas, and cheese are an essential cherry on top for these tacos.
Also, it’s all about raw tortillas. Look for them in the refrigeration section in the grocery store. I really like the brand TortillaLand. I purchase a large package at Costco and freeze half of them. When you need to thaw, put them in the fridge over night and they’ll be ready for use in the morning. Cook them on the stove for a couple minutes just until each side is brown.
Now go and enjoy!
- 4 large frozen organic chicken breasts
- 2 cups mango salsa
- 8 to 10 raw tortillas (just because raw is MUCH tastier)
- 2 ripe avocados, pit removed and diced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, washed and halved
- 1 can (15 oz) organic black beans, rinsed well
- Fresh spinach
- 2 cups shredded cheese (we love Tillamook here!)
- In a large slow cooker, add chicken breasts and salsa. Cook for 6 hours on HIGH or 8 to 10 hours on LOW until chicken shreds easily. Allow chicken to remain soaking in all the yummy juice. When serving, use a straining ladle to drain excess juice prior to scooping on tortilla.
- On a flat griddle pan, cook raw tortillas over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes on each side until golden brown on each side.
- Stuff your cooked tortilla with chicken, avocado, tomatoes, black beans, spinach, and cheese. Serve and enjoy the juice running down your chin and all over fingers!