Frequently, I get mistaken for someone who does not like dessert or sweet things because I’m healthy. I either try to convince them that I do very much like my dessert despite the ‘yeah right’ look in their eye or I just smile politely and think ‘if they only knew’. Why has the universe convinced everyone that healthy eaters are poor deprived souls with an anti-dessert movement? Tis not so. These Healthy Honey Peanut Butter Cookies would have anyone singing praises for desserts!
By now, you should know my husband is my guinea pig. He knows it. I know it. It’s a mutual agreement! I thrive off the challenge of sneaking health into my recipes. I’m always plotting my next recipe with some hidden health benefit and hoping to knock it out of the park on the very first try.
To be honest, I usually have to bake something a few times before I hear the magical phrase, ‘babe… this is REALLY good!’ Not this time. As soon as my healthy honey peanut butter cookies were pulled from the oven, he downed at least 4. They are chewy, soft, sweet and nutty. Everything you dream a peanut butter cookie to be.
I really love Bob’s Red Mill Whole Wheat Pastry Flour. I know, I know. I keep mentioning it. But have you tasted it’s fluffy goodness in my Banana Zucchini Muffins or Morning Glory Muffins? I’m not getting paid for my opinion… I seriously just love the flour. It’s finely ground whole wheat flour which results in light, fluffy baked goods.
I actually got the idea for this healthy peanut butter cookie recipe from the back of the flour packaging. After a few tweaks, yum yum in my tum tum. Forgive me… I have a 3 year old.
One of my favorite parts of sharing my healthy recipes with you is photographing the food. I was a photographer amateur of all amateurs when I first began. Thanks to this Tasty Food Photography eBook, you can see how chewy and soft these honey peanut butter cookies are! You should check out some of my recipe before and afters.
Okay… go and make these cookies! They will be devoured quickly so be sure to snatch a couple for yourself before they’re gone.
Here are the ingredients I used:
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup peanut butter baking chips (totally optional since they're not exactly healthy)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine honey, peanut butter, coconut oil, beaten egg, and vanilla. Mix well. Pour into dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Fold in peanut butter chips.
- Lightly grease baking sheet with cooking spray. Scoop dough into 2 Tbs balls and place about 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet. Flatten each ball with a fork making a crisscross pattern.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown.