My man loves this lasagna. He loves the small chunks of chicken sausage in the rich sauce topped with a variety of cheeses. Although I like to make it for him on those rainy days, he also usually requests this for special occasions like his birthday. Whether you need some comfort food or a recipe to feed many, this ground turkey lasagna recipe will be the hit of the night!
This recipe makes a very full lasagna. You’ll need a lasagna pan instead of a casserole dish or it will overflow. I bought my deep lasagna dish with some wedding money long ago and have not regretted it once. Love it! I wish I could find a link to my exact lasagna pan, but I found this reasonably priced with high reviews lasagna pan for you instead. Once you taste this flavorful turkey lasagna, you’ll be using your lasagna pan frequently. Promise.
This recipe can feed up to 12 to 15 people although my husband gets a little sad if I offer to share any. Remember… we’re only a family of 3 right now so that leaves plenty of leftovers. He loves it so much that he eats it for lunch the following few days until it exists no more. Enjoy my friends!
- 1 lb ground turkey, browned and drained
- 12 oz chicken or turkey linked sausage, diced (I love the brand Al fresco)
- 3 (15 oz) cans of organic tomato sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can of organic diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 (6 oz) cans organic tomato paste
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbs Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 eggs, lightly beatened
- 3 Tbs minced fresh parsley
- 3 cups (24 oz) low or reduced-fat small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 (8 oz) carton of low or reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 12 lasagna noodles (I use gluten-free brown rice pasta or whole wheat lasagna noodles)
- 3 cups shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, divided
In large skillet, cook ground turkey and chicken sausage over medium heat until browned. Drain well. Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about an hour stirring occasionally.
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and parsley. Add cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, and Parmesan. Refrigerate until ready to use.
In an ungreased lasagna baking dish, spread 1 cup of meat sauce on the bottom.
Layer in this order: 3 to 4 lasagna noodles, 2 cups cottage cheese mixture, 1 cup mozzarella, 3 to 4 noodles, 2 cups meat sauce, remaining cottage cheese mixture, and 1 cup mozzarella. Top with 3 to 4 noodles and remaining meat sauce.
Cover and bake at 375 for 50 minutes. Then uncover and spread last cup of mozzarella on top and bake for additional 20 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.