I met Carla and her husband at church. They’re weight loss success stories are so inspiring! I’m so grateful Carla is sharing her story with us today. Her ‘before’ picture was July of 2009 at 211 lbs. Her ‘after’ picture was in October 2012 (trust me… her triceps are STILL just as fabulous today). Her desire is to share her story all over the country and to help other women realized that they too can become healthy, fit and fabulous at any age!
- I have lost a total of 94 lbs. However, I’ve gained 10 lbs of lean muscle mass.
What motivated you to get healthier?
I was told by a health care professional that I was pre-diabetic, pre-hypertensive and had osteoarthritis in my knees. I knew that I didn’t want to stick myself with a needle or take a bunch of pills for the rest of my life. I walked out of that appointment with determination to change my ways and to lose weight. I started educating myself more and more and began my personal transformation journey.
When you felt discouraged, how did you remain focused on your goals?
- I didn’t have any big challenges in the beginning. I didn’t really feel discouraged until I hit a plateau. Then I re-evaluated my diet and changed my exercise program. Within a few weeks, the weight started coming off.
What suggestions, tips, or advice would you share with someone who is just beginning their weight loss journey?
- 1) Remember that personal transformation is a lifestyle change. This must be a permanent new way of life.
- 2) If you change your way of thinking, then your body has no choice but to change. You can change physically BUT if you don’t change mentally then your physical change will not be permanent.
- 3) You won’t always be perfect 100% of the time BUT eventually it will become a habit.